[extropy-chat] private ownership of nuclear weapons

Neil H. neuronexmachina at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 05:02:13 UTC 2005

Excellent comments.

However, I'm still a little wary when it comes to private ownership of
nuclear weapons. You only mention defensive uses of nuclear weapons (which
could be quite useful), but there's bound to be at least a few people who
desire to use such weapons for ideological/offensive purposes. Since nuclear
weapons are so difficult to defend against, this could definitely be
problematic in the long term.

I've devoted some brain cycles in the past to trying to devise a sustainable
framework for private nuclear weapon ownership, but haven't been too
successful yet. In the case of "The Ungoverned," it's mentioned that if the
farmer's neighbors realized he had a nuke, they probably would've lynched
him immediately to protect themselves. What if all owners of nuclear weapons
are required to own insurance to cover potential damages? If the owner is
mentally unstable or they have weak safeguards for the nuke, insurance would
be prohibitively expensive or downright impossible to get.

Of course, there's then the problem of how to require insurance for
something in an anarcho-capitalist society. One way is if possession of an
uninsured nuclear weapon within blast range is considered to inherently be a
violation of the non-agression principle and grounds for the use of force.
There seems to be some ambiguity there though, so I'm not sure if I'm
satisfied with it yet.