[extropy-chat] Organizing conference in a metaverse

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 08:27:39 UTC 2005

On the futuretag list we are discussing and planning to hold a major
and profitable conference on future emerging technologies with H+ bias
in cyberspace. Think of it as a scaled up Transvision in a virtual
world (Second Life or another VR). The conference could be a
Transvision, or we could call it something else. We should have top
level invited and paid speakers plus volunteer speakers. We should do
a very professional work and follow as close as possible the
conference metaphor - people are already used to interact in a
conference, so the VR event should be similar to a physical conference
- speakers give lectures, you can ask questions from the audience,
round tables, desks and chairs, coffee breaks, parallel sessions,
private meeting rooms etc. Everything should be recorded on machinima
video generated in world, and the proceedings distributed on DVD.
Some research is needed on e.g. support for Power Point, video
presentations and audio feeds, but I am sure everything can be done
with existing tools.
We are now discussing the detailed requirements and the suitability of
different metaverse implementations - Second Life is the "obvious"
candidate but we are discussing possible alternatives, for example
building the workspace on Croquet.
To those who have contributed to the previous threads (Alexander, Jay,
Sampo, Brandon, Jef, Gina, Jani, Artillo etc.), please join the
discussion on futuretag is you wish to participate (see
http://futuretag.com/about/forum or write to me). I will post project
updates here is there is enough interest.