[desejados] [extropy-chat] Kurzweil reviewed in Weekend Australian newspaper

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Dec 19 11:13:23 UTC 2005

On Dec 16, 2005, at 7:42 PM, Diego Caleiro wrote:

>> The
>> information sciences have sparked the mystic belief that
>> everything is made
>> of ethereal data and that consciousness or identity can be
>> separated from
>> the complex electro-biochemical dynamics of the brain. This is a
>> curious
>> technological rewriting of the notion of the individual soul,
>> transcendent
>> from embodiment. It may be a reassuring story but there's no
>> evidence to
>> support it.
>

> Absolutely true, I would even say, painfully true.

As we are not that advanced *yet* of course there is no evidence.  At
one time there was no evidence for the ability to fly heavier than
air craft.  There were more than a few learned dissertations on why
such was preposterous and utterly impossible.   Wait and see.
Transcendence of human misery is not a bad goal at all.  With proper
technology you don't have to practice make-believe to significantly
achieve it.

- samantha