HM Re: [extropy-chat] Re: US right to invade say Iraqis

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 19:05:09 UTC 2005

On 12/19/05, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > The bit about "There'll be a horrible civil war if we
> > leave!" is just another lie brought to you by the same
> > folks who brought you the WMDs and the Al-Quaida
> > connections...
>
> Jeff, I'm with you on that partially.  I expect a
> continued low level war in the Arab nations, but
> not a horrible civil war.  After seeing the participation
> level in last week's election, I am much more optimistic
> about that, if the news reports can be trusted.  I am
> inclined to believe them, for anything good that happens
> in Iraq is bad for the yankee press.  They downplay it
> if at all possible.

If you want to know what is happening, or likely to happen, ditch CNN and
read AlJazeera.

> > > But if he did say these things,
> > > it's likely only a matter of time before Iran gets
> > > into a shooting war with the EU.
> >
> > Not a chance.  The Europeans are working their tails
> > off just trying to keep the US an/or Israel from
> > attacking Iran and setting off a war stretching from
> > the Meditterranean to Kashmir...
>
> Oh I don't doubt for a minute the Europeans are
> working their tails off to prevent a war that
> would be tragic beyond imagination, but Iran
> is looking more hostile every day.  If they
> keep picking a fight, eventually Europe will
> be forced to give them one.  President
> Ahmadinejad seems to be intentionally
> provoking European ire.

Er... as far as Iran goes, it is the US and Israel that seems intent on
picking the fight.
The US labelling them as one of the 'axis of evil', and invading No 2 (Iraq)
while issuing dire threats, both directly and by proxy (Israel), is not
going to make them all friendly now, is it? Esp when they see that No 1 is
off the menu because they really do have WMDs. What message do you think
that sends?

And Europe will certainly not be fighting the Iranians. The latter have no
problem with Europe compared to the US and Israel. If Iran goes nuclear,
either before or after 'pre-emptive strikes' by the US or Israel, Europe is
going to side with the Iranians. Of course, there may be temporary
sanctions, but that will be all. If the US can forgive Pakistan going
nuclear the EU can certainly do that with Iran.

Dirk