[extropy-chat] Impeachment of President Bush What odds am I offered?

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Tue Dec 20 04:24:25 UTC 2005

gts wrote:

>Strange how the good news about the voter turnout in Iraq and the relative
>peace on that day appeared at about the same time that we learned our
>president was spying on his own citizens.

Separate, largely unrelated thoughts in each paragraph:

Or, strange how the New York Times reportedly had the story for a
year, and printed it at about the same time that we had good news from Iraq.

One of the most offensive aspects of life in these times is how
commonplace activities are trumpeted as dramatic and unprecedented.
Behaviors that are routine in Washington, in US history, and in world
history, call for banner headlines.

With specific regard to "our president was spying on his own
citizens" -- read a bit of history, particularly The Puzzle Palace.

With regard to impeachable behavior -- even if everything Bush has
been accused of were absolutely true, he'd still be a piker compared
to other presidents.

I'm not sure which disgusts me more: the people who push a storyline
they know is a lie, for the good of their cause, the lapdogs who
repeat the storyline, without caring whether it is true, or the great
unwashed, who lack the knowledge and critical skills to see through
the lies and distortions.

I have another bet to propose. What are the odds that Bush's approval
rating will rise to 60%? To 70 or 80%?

My best guess is that a Bush approval rating of 70% is more likely
than articles of impeachment passing.

-- David.