[extropy-chat] Re: US not right to invade say Iraqis

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Dec 20 07:49:00 UTC 2005

On Dec 19, 2005, at 10:37 PM, John K Clark wrote:

> "Samantha Atkins" <sjatkins at mac.com>
>
> > The point was that Kuwait was stealing Iraqi oil.
>
> Saddam said that, but I have some doubt it's true.

It was acknowledged as being true by the US.  Why quibble?

> Just between you and me
> I'm beginning to suspect that sometimes Saddam shades the truth just a
> teeny tiny bit.  Kuwait has plenty of oil and it's hard to
> understand why
> they'd need to steal it from somebody much stronger than they are, but
> it's irrelevant even if true.

How so?  Mangy nations have come to conflict over such things.

> > Saddam asked us if we had any problem with the action he
>> proposed to take.  we said "no".
>
> I've heard conflicting stories about that, but again, for what I was
> discussing the incompetent nature of American diplomacy is irrelevant.

That we say one thing and do drastically another while painting the
set-up party as a monster is irrelevant?  How so?  We weren't
incompetent.  We set him up exactly as we intended.

> > Then we proceeded to pretend to be surprise
>
> Oh I don't think we needed to pretend very hard.

Yes we did.  We even worked hard to make up enough to make our
actions seem reasonable.  We thought we had to pretend to ourselves
and to the world apparently.

>> and to outright  lie about the size of force involved and Saddam's
>> intentions.
>
> Why would we need to lie about Saddam's intentions? Nobody needed
> to come to
> us to know what Saddam's intentions were, they were obvious from his
> actions, his soldiers occupied Kuwait in a matter of hours.

And this was our concern because.. ?  We said we didn't care when he
asked.

> Saudi Arabia
> would rather eat ground glass than let American soldiers on their
> land but
> they did it anyway because they knew they were next on Saddam's hit
> list and
> he had the fourth largest army on Earth; they could never stop him
> alone.

That is the story we told but I very much doubt it.

> > he had no intentions to rule either country .
>
> What on earth are you babbling about?! The man was already ruling
> one of
> them!

Oops.  Yes he intended to take over Kuwait.  but he mad no moves on
SA or stated such intention.

- samantha