[extropy-chat] Intelligent Design -- take *this*...

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 19:25:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:06:06 -0500, Robert Bradbury
<robert.bradbury at gmail.com> wrote:

> Going back to my previous comments in this area -- I stand by my
> statements that I.D. is worthy of scientific discussion

Here is my own take on the subject. Thanks to those here who helped me
formulate my thoughts. Comments and criticisms still welcome.

=====
Intelligent Design, Darwinism, and Public Science Education

The Intelligent Design (ID) movement uses a two-pronged attack in the
effort to discredit Darwinism. First, ID proponents posit the existence of
irreducibly complex structures in biology, structures such as the
bacterial flagellum, which they contend cannot have evolved naturally and
so must represent evidence of an intelligent designer. Second, they argue
that conventional science in general amounts to a form of religion, a
religion they call "methodological naturalism," and that this naturalistic
bias prevents science from considering unnatural or supernatural
explanations of natural phenomena.

The first charge is dismissed easily enough, and won't be covered here.
The second charge seems a more serious threat to science education in
public schools. If ID proponents can convince legislators and school
administrators that science is inherently biased and grounded in something
akin to religious faith then other religious ideas might be given equal
time in public school science classrooms. Or evolution science or any
other branch science could become vulnerable to attack as a violation of
the separation of church and state.

This debate seems therefore to be not only about evolution. At stake is
the definition of science in education.

In Kansas, proponents of Intelligent Design have already argued along such
lines and succeeded in redefining science for purposes of public education.

Whereas science in Kansas once meant:

"seeking natural explanations for what we observe around us"

It now means:

"continuing investigation that uses observation, hypothesis testing,
measurement, experimentation, logical argument and theory building to lead
to more adequate explanations of natural phenomena."

Kansas' new definition seems on the surface very reasonable, perhaps even
an improvement, but it lacks the requirement that science be about natural
explanations. In Kansas, any explanation for natural phenomena now
qualifies as science, including for example astrology as an explanation of
human destiny and personality. Perhaps lightening is evidence of angry
gods, and perhaps frogs cause warts. Obviously this view of science is
unacceptable.

We need then either to 1) define what we mean by "natural explanations"
and advance stronger arguments for limiting science to natural
explanations, or 2) recommend a better definition of science not limited
to natural explanations but which still precludes explanations of natural
phenomena that intelligent people would consider magical or superstitious.
The first option seems most logical, but I see a difficulty in the
distinction between “natural” and “supernatural.” Presumably everything
real in the universe is in the final analysis natural, including the hand
of any supposed Intelligent Designer.
I’ll argue here for the second option.

What do ID proponents mean when they claim science is like religion for
reason of its basis in methodological naturalism? As far as I can tell,
they mean that the conventional view of science is based in
justificationism, positivism and inductivism. This is in fact a common
view of science. Positivism is the once commonly held empiricist doctrine,
advanced by the Vienna Circle, that meaningful propositions in science are
confined to those which can in principle be verified or justified through
empirical observation.

If science finds its meaning in justificationism/positivism then I think
ID proponents would have a point: science might then be considered a form
of religion. This is so because the positivist proposition, that
propositions are valid only if they can in principle be verified
empirically, cannot itself be verified empirically. Positivism fails its
own test for meaning and must by the positivist's own standards be a
meaningless proposition or a statement of metaphysics or religion.
Positivism and its close cousin justificationism can in that sense be
considered religion.

Hume's thorough refutation of inductivism renders it too a form of
religion.  We have no justification for believing past observations
predict future observations. That the sun has risen each morning is not
proof that it will rise again tomorrow. Strictly speaking, such
predictions are irrational statements of faith.

I do not know how to define methodological naturalism except as a
materialistic philosophy of science based in justificationism, positivism
and inductivism.

Fortunately these 'religions' are not essential to science. Karl Popper's
philosophy of falsificationism and critical rationalism are I think a
superior philosophy of science, better than justificationism and
positivism, and one that does not depend on anything resembling religion.
Popper explicitly rejected positivism and justificationism and
acknowledges Hume's criticism of inductivism.

Perhaps not coincidently, Popper's evolutionary epistemology is an
extension of biological evolution into the world of science and ideas.
Although Popper was a realist who subscribed to the correspondence theory
of truth, science was not to him about finding "justified true beliefs."
Popper viewed science as a biological enterprise, a means through which
humans use intelligence to adapt to the environment. Successful scientific
theories have value then not because they are deemed true, but because
they are workable conjectures that provide solutions to real problems of
human survival.

In this view scientific theories and their philosophical underpinnings are
in no way sacred, leaving ID proponents with no sacred cows to target. In
fact the proper goal of science is to falsify its own propositions.
Unfalsifiable theories are rejected as non-science.

All knowledge is considered conjectural. Science is then the business of
falsifying our conjectures, of sacrificing our theories to save our skins.

"On the pre-scientific level, we are often ourselves destroyed, eliminated
with our false theories; we perish with our false theories. On the
scientific level, we systematically try to eliminate our false theories --
we try to let our false theories die in our stead."

-Karl Popper

A better definition of science might then be "a continuing investigation
using empirical measurement and logical argument to build falsifiable
theories about the world, theories which science then attempts to falsify
through rigorous hypothesis testing, for the purpose of finding effective
solutions to current and future problems of human progress and survival."

Does Intelligent Design then qualify as science? ID is arguably
unfalsifiable and thus not a valid theory. And if it is falsifiable then
it seems already to have been falsified: evolution scientists have offered
coherent naturalistic explanations for many so-called irreducibly complex
structures. Moreover even if we give ID the benefit of the doubt here, and
grant it status as a valid and as yet not falsified theory, the theory
seems still to fail our test for science in that it has no problem solving
value. The theory that snowflakes are created by angels has as much
problem-solving value to humanity as does ID. It would seem then that even
a generous appraisal leaves ID looking like nothing more than ordinary
mythology.

-gts