[extropy-chat] Singularitarian verses singularity

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Dec 21 11:14:40 UTC 2005

On Dec 21, 2005, at 12:26 AM, Brandon Reinhart wrote:

>> There are plenty of singularitarians that see the singularity as a
>> time of
> immense risk to the survival of our biosphere.
>
> Actually, I'd adjust this to say probably all singularitarians
> believe this.
> I doubt anyone thinks we'll get a free pass to an ideal future.
> Singularitarians who really grasp the potential of strong AI
> combined with
> nanotech are scared as hell at the possibility of doing things wrong.

I am of the opinion that human level intelligence is increasingly
insufficient to address the problems we face, problems whose solution
is critical to our continuing viability.   Thus I see >human
intelligence as essential for the survival of humanity (or whatever
some or all of us choose to become when we have such choice).   Yes
the arrival of >human intelligence poses dangers.  But I think it is
also the only real chance we have.

- samantha