[extropy-chat] Consciousness is a process inmulti-dimensionaltime.

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 16:50:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 06:58:17 -0500, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net>
wrote:

> gts, as often is the case, I can't tell whether you're trying to be
> profound, or just being polemical.

Neither. :)

> So, instead of the toothpicks, substitute hydrogen atoms linked with
> oxygen atoms in a two to one arrangement.  An emergent property, not
> present in the components, is wetness.

Now we're venturing back into the mysterious world of qualia. Unlike
containership, "wetness" is a sensation.

Is it your contention that qualia are emergent properties of matter?
Locke called these emergent properties the secondary qualities of objects,
the powers things have to affect our senses.

-gts