[extropy-chat] Singularitarian verses singularity

Marc Geddes m_j_geddes at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 22 05:59:34 UTC 2005

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> What evidence do I have for this skepticism? I need
> look no farther than this list. We are bunch of
> really
> intelligent people but are we doing anything to
> solve
> the problems humanity faces? No, we argue about
> whether Bush is a hero or a fraud and whether the
> color red is the same for everybody or not. Every
> time
> somebody publishes a press release that they have
> invented a better mouse trap or something, we
> twitter
> excitedly for a few days, then go back to bickering
> over minutae.

A lot of the talk about transhuman technologies on
messagebaords is *so* facile.  If a lot of the people
on this list actually *tried* to research and build
the technologies they so blithely shoot their mouths
off about on messageboards, they'd soon be shocked at
just how stupid they really were.  And if people can
be so horribly wrong about technical stuff, isn't it
even more likely that they're equally deluded about
society, politics, life, the universe etc and other
areas where they don't have any expertise?  Of course!

Human intelligence level is complete shit man.  People
who believe otherwise obviously haven't had any
experience actually *trying* to build the transhuman
technologies talked about.

Like me.  You know I actually believed I was going to
lick the FAI problem in a couple of weeks and code up
the Singualarity in short order. Then I thought, oh
well, I'll do it next month... then I thought...o.k so
all my previous ideas were shit but may be next year
I'll beat it... you see my sad story? :-(

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last day”

Please visit my web-site:
http://www.riemannai.org/
Sci-Fi, Science and Fantasy