[extropy-chat] Singularitarian verses singularity +HIGH IQS!

Marc Geddes m_j_geddes at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 22 06:52:29 UTC 2005

--- gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:38:38 -0500, Marc Geddes
> <m_j_geddes at yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> > IQ (and 'Intelligence' in a narrow sense) means:
> >
> > *The ability to make accurate models about
> functional
> > systems...
> >  *The ability to achieve one's goals efficiently.
> i.e
> > The ability to maximize 'gains' in the utilitarian
> > sense...
> > *The ability to integrate different kinds of
> knowledge
> > into a single explanatory framework...
>
> In the final analysis, isn't intelligence the
> ability to act in ways that
> promote contentment and survival?

No.  'Contentment' and 'survival' are human goals.  No
reason why super-intelligences should have them.
Further, any definition of intelligence should surely
involve cognitive processes, not end goals.

> It is true I think that intelligence requires the
> ability to make accurate
> models, and the ability to achieve one's goals, and
> the ability to
> integrate different kinds of knowledge into a single
> explanatory
> framework. But I think these are only intermediary
> steps. They are
> contained in the definition of intelligence but do
> not define it.
>
> -gts

Can you come up with a better definition than the
three I gave above?  I've been thinking about this
for... what... 3 years now.

I think my third definition does fully subsume all the
other definitions of intelligence.  From my
'Mathematico-Cognition Reality Theory':

"An individual mind which is
'functioning optimally' would model the reality
schematic shown.  Such a mind would optimally
integrate models of sentient behavior (memes) and
models of physical systems (functions).  But this was
exactly the suggested original aim of a TOE (Theory Of
Everything).  A TOE was defined to be a logical system
which integrated physical and mental concepts."

http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/2005-December/023071.html

In other hands, I think in the final analysis
intelligence is the ability to fully integrate all
different kinds of knowledge into a single explanatory
framework (which ultimately comes down to integrating
memes with functions).

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last day”

Please visit my web-site:
http://www.riemannai.org/
Sci-Fi, Science and Fantasy