[extropy-chat] Singularitarian verses singularity

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 22 20:46:14 UTC 2005

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> The Extropy list is one of the Singularity Institute's primary sources
> of donors.  This list is where Brian Atkins and Sabine Atkins (then
> Sabine Stoeckel) and I got together and founded SIAI.  If you aren't
> doing anything, that's your own choice.  If you dislike your choice,
> change it!
>
> The Singularity Institute is currently running a $100,000 Challenge
> Grant.  So's Alcor, if that's more to your taste.  From bystander to
> actor is a straightforward transformation, if you're dissatisfied with
> cheering from the sidelines.
>
> I agree that political yammering is a failure mode, which is why the SL4
> list bans political discussion.

The ban something is an intensely political act. To ban political
yammering there has to be someone who decides what is and is
not political yammering.

How do you conclude that *you* are especially qualified to decide
what is political yammering?

It seems like a "friendly" AI with *your* values could only be a
benevolent dictator at best.  And benevolent not as those that are
ruled by it decide but as it decides using the values built in by you.

I can think of no better reason NOT to donate money to your cause.

Indeed given your views it might be more extropic (better for
humanity as a whole) to campaign to close the Singularity Institute
down before it does any harm or to lobby to have you removed
from it.

Brett Paatsch