[extropy-chat] Politics

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 23 02:29:28 UTC 2005

bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dirk Bruere
Subject: [extropy-chat] Politics

>When it comes to politics on this list I consider one form a necessity and
the other a pest.
The pest can be summed up as "parochial party politics". It is easy to spot
- the names 'Bush', 'Republican', 'Democrat' etc make unwelcome appearances
in almost all instances.  If people want to talk about politics let's keep
it to either specific instances that affect Transhumanist aims directly, or
to principles and practices op the wider stage... Am I alone in this view?
>Dirk

OK the week is over and you have passed the test.

Dirk's notion works for me.  I have been away for a
few days, but reviewing I see that people have managed
to keep this week's political free-for-all mostly
civil.  I see ExI-chat as analogous to a noisy sports
bar.  In a sports bar, arguing is allowed, yea even
encouraged, but fighting is not.  Arguing is a form
of communication, but fighting breaks furniture
and drives away patrons.  The bouncer will make
you take it outside.  But the bouncers here have
been remarkably tolerant have they not?  And
have come under criticism for that.

Best do it so:  let us continue to allow
the political discussions, but keep it smart, relevant,
extropian-oriented and at the level of an argument
rather than a fight.  Like a good chess player who
plays the board rather than the man, we should
respond to the post, not the poster.  Don't attack
the other guy, respond to the text.  Otherwise the
BOUNCER will take action, and I'm 125 pounds of
pure mean, I tells ya.  Nobody messes with the BOUNCER!

Well, actually they do, early and often, but it isn't
my fault.  I have a psycho-medical condition which is
the exact opposite of anorexia nervosa, called
cathorexia nerd-vosa.  I look in the mirror and think
that I am too thin.  But I have a positive attitude
about it instead of a negative one.

Speaking of politics, here is a fun little American
history quiz.  I managed a 27 on it, but I got lucky
on at least a couple wild ass guesses.  Yanks, try your
skill and report your results if you wish:

www.toast.net/games/Independence/page1.asp

It would be interesting if Europeans and others would
suggest a political history quiz site of your homeland.

Political posters, do be kind to each other.  We are
all we have.