[extropy-chat] Singularitarian verses singularity

Marc Geddes marc.geddes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 07:54:42 UTC 2005

  Perhaps this Singularity is coming much sooner than everyone realized?

Check out this:

http://www.ad.com/ccortex.asp?id=1

"Artificial Development is building CCortex, a massive spiking neural
network simulation of the human cortex and peripheral systems. Upon
completion, CCortex will represent up to 20 billion neurons and 20 trillion
connections, achieving a level of complexity that rivals the mammalian
brain, and making it the largest, most biologically realistic neural network
ever built. The system is up to 10,000 times larger than any previous
attempt to replicate primary characteristics of human intelligence. "

There are new projects like this popping up all over the place.  There are
new Singularity forums springing up everywhere.  It's says on Goertzel's
page that  coding for his project is now '60% complete'.  It actually looks
to me like the Singularity Instuitute (and everyone else for that matter) is
nearly out of time.

I'm not going out like this.  I intend to code my best 'emergency guess'
and be really to launch it in 5 years.  I suggest Singularity Institute (and
everyone else who takes the Singularity seriously) prepare an emergency plan
now.

It does like best guesses, brute forcing and emergency plans are the only
real hope.  It's over.  5 years tops and that's I'm now thinking.

--
"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the shadow with teeth bared,
screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on