[extropy-chat] RE: Singularitarian verses singularity

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 24 00:15:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 01:46:28 -0500, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Remember we need the AI to handle challenges beyond our abilities.  How
> exactly can a challenge be beyond our own abilities yet humans be
> capable enough to second guess the AI?

Certain difficult questions of ethics and morals would I think need to be
resolved first. The answers would then need to be coded and made
open-source and required in any SAI charged with the task of making public
policy decisions.

For example two people are adrift in a life-raft with limited food and
supplies. One is a scientist who has discovered but has not yet published
a real cure for cancer. The other has nothing obvious to contribute to
humanity. Is it more permissible for the scientist than the other to push
an innocent person over-board to save his own life? The scientist would be
saving the lives of countless innocent persons in addition to his own but
the other person could make no similar claim.

I don't pretend to know the answer but I think an SAI might answer in the
affirmative, while many humans might answer either that 1) murder is
always wrong, or that 2) it's a case of every man for himself without
regard to the greater social consequences.

I'm not sure we could trust an SAI to formulate the right answer to such
questions on their own, so I suppose I am in agreement with you, at least
tentatively.

-gts