[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 25 02:23:49 UTC 2005

Paramecium bursaria may be representative of the first animals to have
eyes. Curiously, their eyes are plants.

P. bursaria farm Chlorella in their cytoplasm:

https://mailserver5.hushmail.com/hushmail/index.php

Unlike its un-chlorella-fied cousins,  P. bursaria gravitate toward light
for nourishment.

Does it make sense then to say P. bursaria can see but that its cousins
are blind? I think so. Normal paramecia wander about aimlessly to find
food, like blind unconscious people.

But P. bursaria is smarter than your average bear: it uses Chlorella to
"see".

Do P. bursaria experience something we could call quaila? If not then what
do we mean by "seeing"?

In separate news, I noticed this headline about the ability of bees to
recognize human faces:

Bees can recognize human faces, study finds
http://www.physorg.com/news8953.html

-gts