[extropy-chat] why do the senegalese get along?

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Mon Dec 26 15:12:08 UTC 2005

At 02:43 PM 12/25/2005, you wrote:
>On 12/24/05, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone here offer an explanation for this?
> >
> > http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,179678,00.html
> >
> > If this story is true, how to we cause it to spread?
>
>I don't know much of Senagalese history or politics, nor do I assign a
>high priority to learning it at this time, but I can contribute some
>thinking on the spread of tolerance.
>
>In general, intolerance is the result of "moral" decision-making
>within too small a context.  The world will become increasingly
>tolerant of individual and cultural diversity, while becoming less
>tolerant of those individuals and groups which violate principles of
>mutual growth,  as we become increasingly aware of the bigger picture
>via increasing access to information.
>
>We can cause it to spread most effectively by developing and promoting
>the tools.  The understanding will follow.

Yes.  And that ought to be one of our preferred goals within transhumanism
- to engage in and tolerance.  Further, a strong framework for knowing
boundaries and setting boundaries is also essential to
practice  tolerance.  Individuals are more tolerant if their boundaries are
respected.  Individuals are more willing to be honest if their identities
are respected.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist - Designer
Future Studies, University of Houston
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Member, <http://www.profuturists.com/>Association of Professional Futurists
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture
Honorary Vice-Chair, <http://transhumanism.org/>World Transhumanist
Association
Senior Associate, <http://foresight.org/>Foresight Institute
Advisor, <http://alcor.org/>Alcor Life Extension Foundation

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
perspective.
Buckminster Fuller