[extropy-chat] Politics

Tue Dec 27 13:18:42 UTC 2005

On Dec 22, 2005, at 9:29 PM, spike wrote:
> OK the week is over and you have passed the test.

I also have returned after the week of politics is over.

> I have been away for a
> few days, but reviewing I see that people have managed
> to keep this week's political free-for-all mostly
> civil.

What a low standard for the extropians list!  As long as we are
"mostly" civil, it's OK.  We used to aspire to much higher aspirations.

Were any new idea discussed that haven't been discussed before?  Did
anyone invent anything?  Did anyone start any new projects?  Did anyone
come up with new insights that did not previously exist?  *These* would
be the interesting things I would like to see from our discussions.
(Yes, even the political ones!)

>   I see ExI-chat as analogous to a noisy sports
> bar.  In a sports bar, arguing is allowed, yea even
> encouraged, but fighting is not.  Arguing is a form
> of communication, but fighting breaks furniture
> and drives away patrons.

> Best do it so:  let us continue to allow
> the political discussions, but keep it smart, relevant,
> extropian-oriented and at the level of an argument
> rather than a fight.

So the week-long "experiment" isn't over?  This is a permanent change
to the extropy-chat list?  Arguing about politics is allowed and even
encouraged?  You think arguing is a form of communication?  And that it
does not drive away the patrons?

What in the world are you trying to accomplish?  Seriously, I don't
understand.  Besides the fact that some people find it fun to argue,
and that they insist on doing so in front of an nonconsensual audience,
what does arguing accomplish that rational discourse without arguing
does not?  What do the new rules accomplish that the old rules did not?
  I really don't know what "problem" you are trying to solve.  Can
somebody please define *why* was want to encourage arguing as opposed
to discussion without arguing?

--
Harvey Newstrom <HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI NSA-IAM GSEC ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP