[extropy-chat] Politics

Tue Dec 27 22:45:31 UTC 2005

On Dec 27, 2005, at 3:24 PM, Jef Allbright wrote:

> On 12/27/05, Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
>> Does anybody have any other proposed solutions or objections to
>> proposed solutions to add to this list?
>
> I too get several hundred emails per day and have been effectively
> using filters to categorize email into useful groups.

I do this too, with most e-mailing lists going into the proper topic.
Unfortunately, lists with high politics mixed with other content are
harder to split apart.  Do you have any filters or keyword lists that
works on politics?  I have not gotten such content filters to work
effectively.  I really get annoyed that arguments over Bush and the
Iraq war go into my futures technology folder.  I love both topics, but
it works better for me to face them separately.

>   The problem I
> am increasingly faced with is the poor s/n ratio in most groups.  I am
> seriously considering adding a new level of filtering,

This is the problem that I am facing.  I keep having to add more layers
of filtering to maintain the system.  Instead of working once I have it
set up, the system breaks every week or so, and I have to start
tinkering with it again.  Eventually, it gets easier to just read the
posts and delete them.  And then when that gets to be too much, it gets
easier to just unsubscribe than to bother.  Especially when there are
other lists that are on-topic in various extropic areas.

--
Harvey Newstrom <HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI NSA-IAM GSEC ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP