[extropy-chat] Politics

Wed Dec 28 22:54:57 UTC 2005

On Dec 28, 2005, at 2:47 PM, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> Perhaps but I think the topics were sufficiently important in the
> context of the original list that moving them elsewhere lost context,
> Also, if we say effectively "all this political stuff many of you
> think sucks will move over here" a lot of even the people who think
> politics important will not use the other list.  I am not sure of all
> the reasons why.  Some of the most passionate voices who actually care
> a great deal about the community and its main topics but also care
> about political things become frustrated and leave.   At least this is
> what I saw before.  Although in that case the filtering and moving of
> political messages also seemed to be biased to certain types of
> politics, specifically more libertarian views.  This added to the
> failure of this "solution".

Yes.  As my original note pointed out, all "solutions" fail some
segment of the community.  There seems to be no answer that everyone
finds acceptable.  No matter which we chose, some segment of the
audience will leave.  I have no idea what the answer is, because
different people have different criteria for the list.

--
Harvey Newstrom <HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI NSA-IAM GSEC ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP