[extropy-chat] Politics

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 29 00:09:35 UTC 2005

From: Harvey Newstrom

> As my original note pointed out, all "solutions" fail some
>segment of the community.  There seems to be no answer that everyone
>finds acceptable.  No matter which we chose, some segment of the
>audience will leave.  I have no idea what the answer is, because
>different people have different criteria for the list.

My ideal discussion would be to approach an issue/problem from
multidisciplinary, and domain-diversity, viewpoints.  Rather than beating
the donkey or elephant silly, it would be more extropic to take an issue
such as getting vaccines to developing countries or proactively fighting
for individual (human) rights and work at finding a solution.  For example,
if a topic is "POL-STEE: Vaccines & Dev. Countries," posters would apply
domain-diversity in their suggested solutions by looking at the issue from
social, technological, economic and environmental perspectives.

Rather than pushing party politics, posters would push the domain "ideas"
to solve the problem.  In the end, this would mean that the solution
finding would be non-partisan and focused on solutions rather than personal
politics.

I hope I explained this clearly enough.  I could illustrate this in
PowerPoint by creating a large circle that would be "issue" and smaller
circles that would represent different domains and how they link in and out
and what the variables/actors would be and how solution finding is a
combination of many elements and discovered through multidisciplinary,
domain-diverse application of knowledge and action.

Natasha