[extropy-chat] No time to think?

Joseph Bloch transhumanist at goldenfuture.net
Thu Dec 29 01:36:46 UTC 2005

I'm not so sure...

How do you know that in addition to the music, the text messaging, and
everything else, they're not thinking as well?

What they're doing is multitasking. I see no reason why "thinking about
things" can't occupy a piece of brain next to listening to the music. I
was twenty... gods, no... twenty-five years ago. TV on, painting D&D
miniatures, browsing through a magazine, and thinking about some of the
big issues all at the same time, all at the tender age of 14.

Now, the question is, are they being _taught_ to think in addition to
all the other passive inputs... My four-year-old certainly is. Ten years
from now, if she can chat with her friends and  watch a concert and
STILL think about the important things (and recognize what those are),
I'll be more than content.

Joseph