[extropy-chat] Bloodless Redistribution of Wealth (wasSingulartarians)

Joseph Bloch transhumanist at goldenfuture.net
Thu Dec 29 01:52:06 UTC 2005

I must disagree.

The ultra-rich don't generate wealth to get famous, in large part.
Indeed, most attempt to discourage such fame (Paris Hilton being a
notable exception, but perhaps only because she shares an IQ with the
dog in her purse).

Just look at the top 10 richest people in the world, according to Forbes
magazine (the 2003 list is the first one I found, but the principle
applies):

   1. William H Gates III
      <http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=BH69&datatype=Person>

   2. Warren E Buffett
      <http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=C0R3&datatype=Person>

   3. Karl & Theo Albrecht
      <http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=6WGQ&datatype=Person>

   4. Paul G Allen
      <http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=1217&datatype=Person>

   5. Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud
      <http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=0RD0&datatype=Person>

   6. Lawrence J Ellison
      <http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=JKEX&datatype=Person>

   7. Alice L Walton
      <http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=9S8R&datatype=Person>

   8. Helen R Walton
      <http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=8B88&datatype=Person>

   9. Jim C Walton
      <http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=JI38&datatype=Person>

  10. John T Walton
      <http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=GHPT&datatype=Person>

Aside from the first one, and possibly the second one, do you know what
any of them look like?

Of course not. And if they wanted you to, you wouldn't need to see their
faces on the currency. They'd be on every television in the world.

It's not about vanity in that superficial sense. In fact, I am pretty
sure Bill Gates, for one, would eschew such a thing in the interests of
modesty.

I crave money too, but it's not so I can resculpt the moon in my own
image; it's so I can change the world and at the same time ensure
comfort and access to the latest technological advances for myself and
my family.

Don't confuse ego with vanity.

Joseph