[extropy-chat] Bloodless Redistribution of Wealth(wasSingulartarians)

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 29 20:39:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:16:58 -0500, The Avantguardian
<avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> But why not? We have different coins for the same
> denomination. Some state quarters may be rarer than
> others but they all buy exactly 25 cents worth of
> stuff at the store.

These quarters are on the cusp between normal currency and collector
items. Eventually they will be worth more than 25 cents, and in fact they
already are if you sell them as a collection.

There is good reason we did not issue state hundred dollar bills instead.
Quarters are practically worthless in today's economy, so the novelty
effect is negligible. The idea would have been problematic a hundred years
ago, when 25 cents was worth something.

> We have Eisenhower dollars,
> Anthony dollars, and Sakajawea dollars that all buy
> exactly $1 worth of stuff.

Same situation: near collectors items and low demomations. I thought you
were proposing something that would reduce federal taxes in some
significant way. That would require a massive and I think disastrous
change to our currency.

-gts