[extropy-chat] Politics: worthwhile commentary

Jeff Medina analyticphilosophy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 20:47:48 UTC 2005

I'm about as interested in arguing politics as I am in removing my own
fingernails without pain medication, so I won't be arguing sides in
this endless, aimless "Extropian politics: Should we, could we, and if
so how?" set of threads, which is almost completely passed into my
garbage mail filters anyway.

That said, here are a handful of criticisms of Friedman plucked from
Google. Most of them look pretty spot-on; I said most, so don't bother
finding the one that isn't right and then blithely ignoring the
others, and of course keep in mind that I, as I said a moment ago,
will not be joining the fray, so I won't be speaking up to defend
these.

Nevertheless, putting them into circulation for you iron-stomached
folks who care to talk about his stuff, I can do. Enjoy the
autoevisceration...

Friedman wrong about Muslims:
http://www.juancole.com/2005/07/friedman-wrong-about-muslims-again-and.html
(Google cache, as the server was down earlier today, is available at)
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:11mESlMHWp4J:www.juancole.com/2005/07/friedman-wrong-about-muslims-again-and.html+juan+cole+friedman&hl=en
and more related commentary at
http://avari.blogs.com/weblog/2005/07/tom_friedman_is.html

Friedman wrong on Europe and the war:
http://www.plasticbag.org/archives/2003/02/smoking_and_the_smoking_gun.shtml

Friedman with some terrible reasoning on Saudi Arabia, Europe, and Iraq:
http://webapp.utexas.edu/blogs/archives/bleiter/000426.html

A critical review of Friedman's "The World Is Flat":
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2005/0505.drum.html

--
Jeff Medina
http://www.painfullyclear.com/