[extropy-chat] MP3000s

Mark Walker mark at permanentend.org
Thu Dec 29 22:39:13 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "kevinfreels.com" <

>Well of course, the whole star wars saga is full of them. Of course, people
>can be had as slaves as well. >

Well, the worry is that human-level robots are persons as well, unless you
mean by 'person' that persons are necessarily biological beings. It may be
that in the Star Wars saga they do not discriminate against human-level
intelligent robots because humans can be slaves as well. But are own
reaction to the movies is interesting. I wonder how we would feel about Luke
Skywalker in the first movie (Episode III) if he and his family were buying
human slaves rather than robot slaves? My guess is that our reaction would
be quite different, which shows our prejudice: our substratism. I hope
people think this through morally before people invest a huge amount of
money in developing AI. That is, there may well be an expectation that
developing human level AI ought to reap some financial benefits, but unless
we reintroduce slavery it is difficult to see how this will be assured.

Cheers,

Mark

Dr. Mark Walker
Department of Philosophy