[extropy-chat] Politics: worthwhile commentary

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 23:18:02 UTC 2005

--- Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury at gmail.com> wrote:

> The political commentary I've seen has been totally
without reference to Thomas Friedman's comments in
this area.  Sad Sad Sad...  He has been there, he has
looked at the trends quite objectively

This "objectively" is a severe error.

> and can quite clearly can make a case for going to
war in Iraq in spite of the mishandling by Rumsfeld
and
Bush.

> I would view any "political" commentary which does
not include Friedman's perspective as incompletely
informed.

           *******************************

I'm sorry, Robert, but with respect, I strenuously
disagree.

As with each of us, Friedman has his
biases/point-of-view/meme set.  A reader with a
resonant meme set will quite understandably adjudge
Friedman authoritative.  But biases are still biases
and require a judicious inspection.  Also, Friedman's
analysis/commentary is quite amiable -- excepting
those few occasions when he comments on those who
disagree with him.  This amiability/likeability/charm
provokes in his readership a skepticism-lulling degree
of sympathy and credulity.  He's good, and that's why
the NY Times pays him the big bucks.

For an alternative, critical view, here's a site --
entitled forthrightly, The Anti-Thomas Friedman Page.

http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/maxpages/faculty/merupert/Anti-Friedman.htm

In my view, excepting the Mideast, Friedman's
analysis/commentary, his bias notwithstanding, is
quite intelligent.  But in Mideastern matters it is
essential to understand that he is a white, Jewish,
Zionist advocate/apologist, with the extreme polar
bias that implies.

I will not elaborate on why this polar bias discredits
his Mideast views, leaving it to you to compare his
positions and underlying premises with the historical
facts.  Just one anecdote: In one of his columns,
where he sought to provide some insight into the real
views of real Arabs in the Mideast, he cited a
conversation he chanced to have with an Arab fellow in
the seat next to him on a flight from Bahrain.
Unsurprisingly not mentioned in the columns was the
credibility issue that immediately occurred to me.
How does an Arab person who flies first class from
Bahrain figure to be representative of the larger Arab
culture?  About the same way a Saudi Prince does.  Not
at all.

So with Thomas Friedman, as with all things, caveat
emptor.  Stay alert.  Do your homework.

Best, Jeff Davis

   "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                           Ray Charles