[extropy-chat] The Ends and The Means

Diego Caleiro diegocaleiro at terra.com.br
Wed Feb 2 19:02:25 UTC 2005

Em Quarta 02 Fevereiro 2005 14:06, Olga Bourlin escreveu:
> Let's put it another way: Here is your choice, America: $300 billion and
> massive international disrespect and a huge pile of dead American soldiers
> in an effort to force a fragile democracy onto a torn and fractured Iraq by
> ousting their useless dictator who was, let us repeat, no threat to us, or
> to anyone, and who was, in fact, our ally, until he dared to threaten our
> oil.
>

> Or: $300 billion to assist struggling nations and battle AIDS and protect
> the planet, to evolve our international relationships and set up treaties
> and unifying alliances and maybe even have a little left over to help fix
> our own schools, maybe help all those destitute American city upgrade their
> hospitals and fix their homeless problems and even maybe launch a national
> health care plan, spend that money on trying to solve a huge host of social
> ills plaguing this crumbling beautiful egomaniacal empire we call home.

This is the sort of thinking hability that most people seem to lack, the
habulity to judge something not like or it happened or nothing happened, but
or it happened, or all efforts done upon it were directed to other things.
Usually, in my opinion, this is the main argument for pre-emptive atacks, and
also for those who say that religion is a very good thing, saying the good
things done by priests. I remember that once here someone said that every
priest is a scientist who could have been, even though this is an
exageration, it is true to say that he is a useful person that could have
been more.

I really doubt that in this kind of argument, there are still those democracy
at any cost defenders....

Diego (Log At)