[extropy-chat] Proposed bill to ban cloning stirs debate about human life

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 00:44:49 UTC 2005

> Smith argued that "cloning is cloning is cloning"
> and said that even
> therapeutic cloning is immoral because "it reduces
> nascent human life
> to the status of a mere commodity, a natural
> resource ripe for the
> harvest."

     Well I hate to break it to Smith but human life
has been commodofied for a long time. Apart from the
buying and selling of slaves that only ended in the
mainstream a little over 150 years ago, you now have a
situation where people's time is commodified as labor.
Time is the stuff that human life is composed of and
by working 8 hrs a day, a person is essentially
selling 1/3rd of his life to the highest bidder. So
how much commodification of human life is too much?

=====
The Avantguardian

"The penis mightier than the sword."