[extropy-chat] FWD [Skeptic] Re: is america fascist yet?

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 7 04:42:48 UTC 2005

       > >> http://fairuse.1accesshost.com/news3/nytviet.htm
       > >>
       > >> U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote:
       > >> Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror
       > >> by Peter Grose, Special to the New York Times (9/4/1967)

       To cite the fact that South Vietnam had an incredible election, and the
       fact that it is a hell hole today, completely ignores the reasons WHY it
       is that way today.  It ignores the Soviet Union's backing of the North
       Vietnamese communists, a well armed but minority group who sought to
       force the entire population to live under their brutal system.  It
       ignores the fact that the South Vietnamese fended off the invasions of
       the Soviet North for a full two years before finally being overrun, with
       NO help from the United States.  It ignores the fact that the US
       Democratically led congressional abandonment of Indochina handed over
       the entire region, and its 120 million occupants, to Soviet communism,
       and millions were killed as a result.  That liberals cite this as a
       reason to not be excited about the results of the election in Iraq is
       disgusting, since it is their actions that let Vietnam become the
       absolute hell hole it is today.

       Michael

Your comments ignore two indisputable facts:  First, the Viet Cong/Viet Minh
were a large popular resistance faction that was in action a long time before
the CHINESE (not the Soviets as you claim) began to support them.  They
effectively kicked the French out on their own using the weapons that had been
provided them to fight the Japanese.

Second, the "democracy" the US gave the Viet Namese consisted of, in order:
Bao Dai, Diem, and Thieu.  How, one might ask, could any of these yardbirds
win an honest election?

The answer is that they could not.  In 1978, declassified documents revealed
that the CIA had made sure that only US State Department approved candidates
appeared on the ballots and that subterfuge funded by the CIA had actually
prevented reunification elections from taking place (since they knew that the
Communists would win in a fair election); the subterfuge was to be planned and
executed in such a manner as to make the failure of the reunification elections
appear to be the fault of the Communists.

Finally, we should note that the chaotic exit from Viet Nam occurred on the
watch of that radical left-wing liberal, Richard Milhouse (I am not a crook)
Nixon.  Remember, the guy with the "enemies list," COINTELPRO, and "Law and
Odor" Attorney General John Mitchell?  Whose VEEP was the idiot felon Spiro
Agnew?  Whose night-night partner was the paranoid transvestite J. Edgar
Hoover?  Remember that guy? If Nixon was a liberal, you, sir, are a genius.

Ed Tyer

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program