[extropy-chat] A brief transhuman life, anyone?

Reason . reason at longevitymeme.org
Tue Feb 8 23:32:44 UTC 2005

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky <sentience at pobox.com>

>I think that in the end I would choose the ten years of transhuman life,
>for that I cannot imagine I would choose forty years at average
>intelligence over twenty years continued as myself.
>
>Some have replied:  "Oh, you can't present me with that dilemma, there
>*must* be an option C".  I think they don't realize how cruel the real
>universe can be.  Tell it to humanity's dead.  The question is fair.

You missed my point: I was saying that in the real world there are always options C->infinity ... because you can always move the goalposts. By constraining yourself to visualizing dilemmas based on a given set of constraints, you deny your (transhumanist) ability to engineer a better set of constraints to live within.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme