[extropy-chat] Reaction to government lies, and the lack thereof

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 10 04:32:59 UTC 2005

> Adrian Tymes:
>
> The media's hardly a monolithic institution.  Some
> parts of it do indeed thrive on harping on the decay
> of other parts of it.  But big media's not all of it.
> There are other organizations, instutitions, and even
> individuals who've hyped it up...although, these days,
> anyone who talks to anyone can arguably be called
> "media" (thus my reference to "big" media).

Yes, and this is an important observation.

Orwell's Animal Farm could be summarized in two words:
Power corrupts.  The mainstream press amassed a lot of
power as a watchdog over government corruption.  Yet
by beholding we become changed.  As Orwell's swine came
to resemble Farmer Jones (no relation) the mainstream
press has become powerful and corrupt.  They in turn
developed a watchdog, the internet, which empowers all
of us.  Let us use our power wisely.