[extropy-chat] Reccommendations for a mailing list

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Feb 11 02:58:18 UTC 2005

At 04:45 PM 2/10/2005 +0000, BM wrote:

>Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:
>
>>Interesting, I am on this list since about 2000 and always found it
>>very interesting. But I have missed the golden age 1992-2000. In which
>>sense the list was better back then?
>
>I've been here since '96 or there abouts.  They were talking about the
>golden age back then too, of course, but it was much more pleasant than it
>is now, or perhaps I was more naive.

I think I hopped on board midway thru '96, and it was indeed still
fascinating. By then, many grand themes had been chewed over already for
years. Newbies can get a hint of the flavor from the sundry extrope quotes
I recycled in THE SPIKE, which I was writing in 1996; some of those came
from an earlier epoch--from people like John Clark, Eugen Leitl, Anders
Sandberg--and were borrowed with their permission, naturally. The
difference between then and now was, in large part, the difference between
the spotty boffins of the British Interplanetary Society talking about
gosh-wow rocketry in the 1930s and 1940s, and a bunch of post-Apollo
enthusiasts discussing what is just part of history. In 1996, nanotech,
massive life extension, transhumanity and singularity were still extreme
themes that marked us as crazed Buck Rogers types (as the scornful once
referred to space flight enthusiasts). Now they're everywhere, conscripted
by scientists on the one hand and topics for mass media discussion (and,
it's true, continuing derision) on the other.

Interestingly, I was just reading the February 1952 GALAXY magazine, where
Robert Heinlein set out his analysis of the future, in particular the
second half of the 20th century. He had a neat little diagram tracking
change, with low conservative curves of various kinds for the
faint-hearted, and a surging exponential curve of the singularity kind
representing his view of real expected change. As usual, Heinlein was there
before the rest of us.

Damien Broderick