[extropy-chat] damien's psi book

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 11 08:32:36 UTC 2005

There are slightly more 1s than 9s.

> SNIP
>
> How about if you start with say, the seven digit primes, and discard
> first two and last two digits. Would that give you truly random numbers?
>
> -David

No.  The smaller digits still (slightly) predominate, by
the line of reasoning given in the previous post.  But the
excess of low digits is very small, and the non-randomness
will only show up if you have a lot of data points.

This leads to the point I was going to make: even those
random number generating mechanisms, such as the globes
filled with ping pong balls used to generate lottery
numbers, will have a small non-randomness.  This might
be caused by extremely small effects, such as slight
differences in the weights of the balls.  The non-randomness
caused by these tiny effects will only show up if you
have skerjillions of data points, maybe more than all
the lotteries every held to date.

This all has a direction, but I want to hold it back
a little longer to give interested parties a chance to
think it over.