AnarchoCyphertopian technologies (wasRE: [extropy-chat] Reccommendations for a mailing list)

Greg Burch gregburch at gregburch.net
Fri Feb 11 13:06:07 UTC 2005

Sasha and I -- and many others -- used to dream big dreams about the convergence of these technologies. (As a personal note, Sasha's death was a punctuation mark for many, many people in that old core group, but that's another, even more painful topic.)

Thinking back on the world we imagined being implemented with AnarchoCyphertopian(c) technologies, it seems in hindsight there were two phenomena that we didn't foresee with enough clarity -- terrorism and spam.  And they seem like they are related in an important way.  They are both examples of a class of users of such technology that have no consideration for secondary values; they sacrifice everything else to achieve just one aim that is all-important to them and that are complete spoilers for all other members of the user community.  I like the sound of what you've written -- "agoric throttling" -- is that your term, Eugen?  At any rate, it seems here in this after-age of 2005 that the problem of the "totalistic user," the user willing to burn the community to achieve a single goal, has to be solved.

GB