AnarchoCyphertopian technologies (wasRE: [extropy-chat] Reccommendations for a mailing list)

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Fri Feb 11 16:53:30 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>>that your term, Eugen?  At any rate, it seems here in this after-age
>>of 2005 that the problem of the "totalistic user," the user willing
>>to burn the community to achieve a single goal, has to be solved.
>>

>The barbarian at the gate problem rears its ancient head. How is a
>villager to make the pillager pay more for his loot than it is worth?
>In the real, we have guns to shoot perpetrators in self defense. We
>have police and courts and jails to deal with those that escape
>victim-dispensed justice.
>
>In the virtual, there are measures available to force spammers to eat
>up processing dealing with bogus responses. Most spam-combatting
>sofware is purely deflective in nature, they don't repond with
>pro-active measures to disable a spammer, they simply filter it out.
>Net terrorism (primarily in the form of virus dispersal), being
>distributive in nature, is even harder to deal with. Anti-virus
>software is, similarly, merely prophylactic in nature, it doesn't do
>anything to track viruses back to their source. Such a guided missile
>technology should be implemented.

And then the last dream of 'free speech' on the Net dies with it.
The answer to spam and virus writing/dispersal lies within the wider
community.

If the penalties for both were severe the problem would be vastly reduced.
Spam is money motivated. Make it non-cost effective to both advertise via spam and to perform the actual spamming. Full confiscation of assets and lengthy jail time for a start.

Redefine deliberate virus promulgation as terrorism and prosecute and punish accordingly. After a few life sentences (no parole) have been handed down I suspect the problem would fade significantly.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org