AnarchoCyphertopian technologies (wasRE: [extropy-chat] Reccommendations for a mailing list)

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Fri Feb 11 18:42:28 UTC 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>>The answer to spam and virus writing/dispersal lies within the wider
>>community.
>>

>No. Solutions exist, they're not being deployed. People are the problem, not
>technology.

That *is* the 'wider community'.

>You can't solve people-domain problems with technology as long that
>technology doesn't have an intrinsic sufficient incitement, or its
>absence sufficiently penalized. You can't make people think and act.
>

>>If the penalties for both were severe the problem would be vastly reduced.
>>

>Great! Crack down on Microsoft, mandate use of hardened, secure systems.
>Both spam and virus problem almost instantly almost completely disappears.

If it works, fine.

>>Spam is money motivated. Make it non-cost effective to both advertise via
>>

>Great! Lets make money flow realtime inspectable and controlled... er... perhaps not.

And nobody has any idea what people and companies use spammers?
Don't they actually include some contact details in their spam, or have
I missed something?

>>spam and to perform the actual spamming. Full confiscation of assets and
>>

>Charge money for email, make senders fully authenticated.
>
>What a stupid idea.
>

>>lengthy jail time for a start.
>>

>Have fun tracking down some random spammer in Malaysia, or Tunisia. What do
>you propose, having them extreme sanctioned by a special force team? Great.
>Cost effective, makes for a great press.

I suggest that such countries be made to take these problems seriously.
Mandatory blocking of net traffic from ISPs within nations that fail to
implement effective anti-spam laws might be a good way to start.

>>Redefine deliberate virus promulgation as terrorism and prosecute and
>>

>A terrorist jaywalker crossed the street before me today. I blew him away
>with my bazooka. That will teach'em, them terrorists jaywalkers. I intend to
>start on parking violation terrorists and overdressing terrorists, next.
>
>Killin' is too good for them.

No, killin' is exactly good enough.
I rather like the Chinese way of doing things.
The bill for the bullet can be sent to the virus writers family.

>>punish accordingly. After a few life sentences (no parole) have been handed
>>down I suspect the problem would fade significantly.
>>

>Yes! That's the spirit! Tape them to streetlights, and let crows pluck out
>their eyes! Will make them realize. Make them movie sharer terrdurists ride
>the lightning!!!1

Simple life in prison will suffice.
IIRC there's a case coming up for sentence in the US concerning a
spammer who's looking at ten years (we can but hope...)

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org