AnarchoCyphertopian technologies (wasRE: [extropy-chat] Reccommendations for a mailing list)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 18:55:15 UTC 2005

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:

> And then the last dream of 'free speech' on the Net dies with it.
> The answer to spam and virus writing/dispersal lies within the wider
> community.

You don't have the right to spread viruses, or to monopolize other
people's network assets. That is not free speech.

> If the penalties for both were severe the problem would be vastly
> reduced.
> Spam is money motivated. Make it non-cost effective to both advertise
> via spam and to perform the actual spamming. Full confiscation of
> assets and lengthy jail time for a start.
>
> Redefine deliberate virus promulgation as terrorism and prosecute and
> punish accordingly. After a few life sentences (no parole) have been
> handed down I suspect the problem would fade significantly.

More big government solutions.

Spam is theft, viruses are vandalism, as well as theft of services.
They are property crimes, a matter of common law. A persons right to
defend their property against attackers is inviolate. Give them the
tools to make it happen.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)