AnarchoCyphertopian technologies (wasRE: [extropy-chat] Reccommendations for a mailing list)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Feb 11 22:01:21 UTC 2005

On Feb 11, 2005, at 5:06 AM, Greg Burch wrote:

> Thinking back on the world we imagined being implemented with
> AnarchoCyphertopian(c) technologies, it seems in hindsight there were
> two phenomena that we didn't foresee with enough clarity -- terrorism
> and spam.  And they seem like they are related in an important way.
> They are both examples of a class of users of such technology that
> have no consideration for secondary values; they sacrifice everything
> else to achieve just one aim that is all-important to them and that
> are complete spoilers for all other members of the user community.  I
> like the sound of what you've written -- "agoric throttling" -- is
> that your term, Eugen?  At any rate, it seems here in this after-age
> of 2005 that the problem of the "totalistic user," the user willing to
> burn the community to achieve a single goal, has to be solved.

Offhand i don't see why spam is a show stopper for these technologies.
What did  you have in mind?

Re terrorism and other incarnations of the four horsemen,  I don't see
that trading freedom, privacy and/or even having some wonderfully
useful tech for a bit of mostly illusory security against people doing
bad things using the system is a good decision.  Almost everything
useful can be used for evil purposes as well as good or neutral.

Would you say more on what you believe needs to be solved and the
tradeoffs involved?

- samantha