[extropy-chat] Reccommendations for a mailing list

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Feb 11 22:12:17 UTC 2005

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Of this list (a) is slightly on-topic because of the
> present US
> congressional/presidential agenda re cloning and
> stem cell research,
> space exploration, among other topics. However
> discussion on these
> topics was a mix of constructive and hand wringing,
> while the rest was
> a waste of time.
> (b) is decidely on topic for the list, luddism being
> the primary enemy
> of extropy.
> (c) is certainly off topic and a waste of time.

You're right.  I wasn't including (b) in "politics",
but on review I suppose there isn't a much better
category for that.

> The assumption that government
> was as obsolete as
> the dinosaurs and would wither away was infantile,
> but it was
> insistently made by many persons on this list, as
> well as by Bill Gates
> and company, who primarily lost their case because
> they didn't think
> paying off the right politicians was a good
> investment.

True.  Which brings up a side point: what benefits of
extropy could usefully be pointed out to politicians,
that they would take as being "paid off" if our goals
succeed?  For instance, might certain US
Representatives and Senators be brought on board the
life extension advocacy not by any promises of what it
will do for the people, but by the prospect of
significantly extending and enhancing their own lives?
("Wither and die at 85?  No, no, no.  We'd much rather
you live to 150 or longer, and be healthy enough to
enjoy every single year of it!  What would you do with
that time?  The answer's up to you of course, but if
you wanted to spend a few more years in Congress,
nature would no longer deny you that chance - again,
if you wanted it.  The voters would be another story,
but so long as you serve your constituents well
enough...")