[extropy-chat] Help with demo

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Fri Feb 11 22:43:44 UTC 2005

Speaking of cypherpunkly technologies, I was wondering if people on
this list could give me some help with a demo I am giving this afternoon
(Friday afternoon U.S. Pacific time).

I am giving a talk at CodeCon, www.codecon.org, on a system I have called
RPOW, described at rpow.net.  It's sort of a play-money form of digital
cash.  One of the things I have done to demo a possible use is to make a
patched version of BitTorrent, the widely used file sharing program, that
exchanges RPOW data objects in order to reward people for uploading and
seeding files.  In exchange, people with RPOWs can get priority on future
downloads, so by seeding today you can get a better download tomorrow.
That's the concept, although at this point it is just an experiment.

What I need is to have a dozen or so people doing regular BitTorrent
downloads of a file I will offer during the demo, which will be at
about 5 PM Pacific Standard Time, 8 PM EST, 1 AM GMT.  That's 2 1/2
hours from now.  You don't need to use any special RPOW software, just
the regular BitTorrent client.

If you have a BitTorrent client and know how to use it, could you start
up and leave running a download of the following .torrent file:

http://www.finney.org/~hal/ArkyMovie.mpg.torrent

This is fully legal, it's just a home movie of my dog Arky playing on
the beach with his brother.

Nothing will happen when the download until I start the demo at about 5.
But if you could start up your BitTorrent client before then and just
leave it running, it would be a big help for me.

If you are able to do this, please send me an email when you start up your
BT client, at hal at finney.org.  If you've never used BT, don't bother to
try downloading and figuring it out.  I only really need a minimum of
4 or 5 people doing it, but as I said a dozen or more would be great.

Sorry about the last minute notice, but I wasn't sure about how the network
would be set up at the venue, and it turns out that I need people from
outside the building to do the BT downloads.  So thanks in advance to anyone
who is able to participate.

Hal