AnarchoCyphertopian technologies (wasRE:[extropy-chat]Reccommendations for a mailing list)

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sat Feb 12 01:43:51 UTC 2005

spike wrote:

>Other than sending out christmas cards, when is
>the last time you took out a piece of paper and
>wrote to an old friend who has no email?  Can
>you even remember?  Me neither.  My youngest
>postage stamps are from three price increases
>ago.  We stopped using that form of communication
>a decade ago.  Im not totally sure I even know how
>to use a pen anymore, and I conjecture that some
>of the younger people here never even learned how.
>Consequently, when an old friend unplugs her
>internet/email connection, she is effectively gone,
>in another parallel universe, missing in action, no
>practical communication possible, and pretty soon
>she isn't that close a friend anymore.  Spam and
>virii have taken her away from us.
>
>But here's the point: you didn't even realize that
>we had a mass exodus from email in the past couple
>years.  Your friends and acquaintances kept their
>machines going.  A lot of mine didn't.
>
>spike

Actually, there is a third alternative. Many of these people use
Fax, by golly. Strange. I use an email-to/from Fax system
instead of a fax machine just so I can communicate with
yes-fax/no e-mail people. I actually got the account as part
of setting up a purely virtual corporation. It was an interesting
experience, overall, I think I'll post a message about it.

Anyway, A real fax machine is a bit of a pain to work with,
but a fax gateway is just a slightly weird form of e-mail that
is legally protected from spam.