[extropy-chat] damien's psi book

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Feb 12 05:20:48 UTC 2005

At 08:40 PM 2/11/2005 -0800, Spike Jones wrote:

>Step 10.  Given sufficient knowledge of the meta-device
>upon which we could exist, it would in theory be possible to
>predict the outcome of a stochastic process better than
>would be expected from the law of averages.  This is
>getting me nervously close to saying that psi could be
>real somehow, even if not at all understood.  Perhaps the
>effects are too slight to observe with current techniques,
>or perhaps the effect defines, by design, the limits of
>observability.

Not psi, precognition, and only for a certain class of stochastic events
(such as the lotteries you mention). This model doesn't seem to help with
such purported phenomena as telepathy or anomalous kinetic effects
correlated with physically-unmediated intention (phew). If we're in a
simulation and have some marginal access to its meta-device programming and
processing, perhaps these are also explicable via the, um, cracks in the
cosmic egg. But not directly from the Jones Effect, I think.

Damien Broderick