[extropy-chat] Reccommendations for a mailing list

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sat Feb 12 05:41:37 UTC 2005

At 10:49 AM 11/02/05 -0800, Adrian Tymes wrote:
>--- Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <pgptag at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But listen to me
> > guys, this is GOOD. Discussing politics means that
> > we are actually
> > starting to discuss how to get there.
>
>It would be, if the politics were relevant.  Part of
>the problem is that the politics being discussed were
>only barely tangentially related to extropy, if even
>that much.

Correct.  Example:  Politics, stupid politics, has badly hurt stem cell
research in the US.  Does that stop stem cell research?  No, it just moves
to places like Korea.

snip (about politics)

However, I would argue that a meta discussion of politics as it emerges
from human evolutionary psychology might be on topic.

In recent years this has become my main interest.  How much of evolved
human psychological traits we want to take with us into the deep future is
an interesting question.

As well as getting a feel for the psychological traits leading to wars.  I
am not saying Extropians would universally want to stay out of wars, but
knowing where they are going to happen is useful for both being in wars and
staying out.

Keith Henson