[extropy-chat] damien's psi book

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Feb 13 02:18:15 UTC 2005

Interesting post, Spike.  Here are a few questions and thoughts.

First congratulations on the biggest grand construction in support of a
hypothesis that I have encountered in some time.   This was a truly
surprising way to pull this result out of the sim notion.

The idea that a post Singularity civilization would act this way is a
weak link.  That we greatly esteem that quantity (and quality) of
sentience that is our own does not say that they would do so.   Being
awash in much greater intelligence and likely able to easily create
autonomous intelligences of any desired capacity for any desired
purpose, it is not clear to me why biological alien evolved
intelligences would be much more than a mere momentary curiosity easily
satisfied without seamlessly uploading the entire lot.

If intelligence becomes plentiful as it should post Singularity it is
not clear that any particular new bit of intelligence would be  valued
more than to the extent they add unique value unless they posses some
perceived intrinsic value.

Assuming your analysis of non-randomness is substantially correct I
would still have reason to question whether understanding this and the
direction of the slew actually was substantial enough to give much real
competitive advantage.

To get to useful psi I would also need to believe that the human
nervous system was somehow wired to detect these aberrations, at least
in some subset of the population.  	If there is no competitive
advantage to speak of then there is no reason that psi would be
selected for.

- samantha