AnarchoCyphertopian technologies (wasRE: [extropy-chat]Reccommendations for a mailing list)

Brian Atkins brian at posthuman.com
Sun Feb 13 05:23:19 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:
> You aren't looking at the opportunity cost. If yahoo didn't have so
> much of its bandwidth (and disk space) soaked up by spam, it could
> afford to give me 10 gigs of disk space for free.

Hmm, no I think Yahoo would not have purchased all that "spare capacity"
in the first place if it hadn't been forced to by the spam.

There may be viable financial reasons to offer 10 GB of free space, and
if there are then Yahoo will do it. It isn't dependent on having spare
space sitting around, or if it is then they would have to sharply limit
the number of eventual users to prevent the business model from entering
an unprofitable mode.
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/