[extropy-chat] Virtual companies

Gregory L. Cartwright glc at cartwrightlawgroup.com
Sun Feb 13 21:18:32 UTC 2005

Dan,

    I've been thinking about your post for the last couple of days.

    I am not quite sure why you would deem this set up as a "virtual
company."  It's a company being run out of your house or an executive suite,
much (if not all) of it being done by yourself.  Nonetheless,  the company
exists, is registered as a corporation with some US state, presumably has an
EIN, pays taxes, has at least one employee, and is providing some sort of
service or product.

    I am an attorney and one of the major areas of my practice is helping
people with start ups.  Over the years, I've notice a trend especially among
computer programmer types (if they are, in fact, a "type").  They seem to
have more than the usual dose of DIY in them than the other entrepeneurs I
deal with.  I suspect that this is because so many have learned their skills
more or less on their own.  Most all them (even those with degrees in CS or
a related field) learned most everything from a combination of hacking,
reading manuals, dissecting someone else's code or from other programmers.
The danger, of course, is that they then try to apply this same DIY
philosphy to their businesses, often with bad outcomes.

    I have seem many, many victims of this mentality.  Many believe that
contracts for a "similar"  project can be cribbed from the internet, and all
they have to do is "fill in the blanks."  Or they can incorporate themselves
on line.  Seldom, if ever, are the contracts properly drafted, often times
with terrible results -- creating liabilities where none should have existed
or giving away rights they should not have.  The same goes with the
incorporation.  Much of what is done is not done correctly.  Of course, not
following corporate formalities properly is one of the things we look at
when trying to pierce the corporate veil (meaning ignoring the corporation
and going after the shareholder(s) to satisfy a judgment.) In other words,
by not doing the incorporaiton correctly, you leave yourself open to
potentially significant liabilites that otherwise could have been avoided.
Just as I counsel my business clients to think about insurance, getting a
CPA, getting a good IP contact, and a banking contact, I also suggest I
handle more, rather than less.  A cynical person will see this is being in
my best interest, and it is. It is also in my clients' best interest as
well.

    Your post in general though is taken for the broader truth I suspect it
was meant to convey:  corporations are a type of person (and pretty cool),
and the transaction costs to starting and running a business HAVE been
greatly reduced.  No argument there.

    Just my two cents worth.

Greg