AnarchoCyphertopian technologies (wasRE:[extropy-chat] Reccommendations for a mailing list)

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 14 19:09:53 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Consider the Got Milk ad campaign.  It is the first
> of its kind that I recall: advertise the product
> without regard to brand name, paid for by a
> coalition
> of producers.  The notion then is that all producers
> will profit by increased sales of that product, in
> this case milk.
>
> Regardless of what we do, we will still likely get
> slammed by Got Milk type spam, which doesn't require
> any contact details.  What has puzzled me is that
> the jesus-is-coming crowd never figured out the
> use of spam, or haven't used it as far as I know.

Those of that crowd with low enough actual concern for
their fellows to spam, seem also to be antagonistic
towards others who might benefit from the general
promotion of Jesus without mentioning a specific sect.
"Our branch is the only true church and all the others
are heretics", and so forth.

Also keep in mind the high correlation between extreme
religious beliefs and neo-Luddism.  The few pastors
and ministers I've encountered who are open to using
modern technology to preach their faiths also tend to
be the more secular - the types who see no conflict
between faith in God and faith in science, often by
(from our perspective) modifying their faith in God to
adjust to what science discovers (or from their
perspective, acknowledging what God has allowed
science to discover).