[extropy-chat] Analyzing the simulation argument

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 01:37:07 UTC 2005

--- Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net> wrote:
> Assume a perfect simulation....
>
> Here is the way I analyze such a proposition?
>
> 1) logical and self-consistent? Yes.
> 2) consistent with observed phenomena? Yes.
> 3) useful explanatory power? Maybe.
> 4) falsifiable?  No.
>     Oops! our hypothesis is in trouble, but this is not absolutely
> fatal. We must still decide between
> the assumption and the null hypothesis, so:
> 5) (Occam's razor) Is the system simpler with or without the
> assumption?
> Without. That's it,
> ignore it henceforth unless new evidence arises.
>

> Please note: this is exactly the same analysis we do for:
>     "Assume an omnipotent deity."
>
> Thus "perfect simulation" and "omnipotent deity" are equivalent
> concepts.

While I wouldn't say omnipotent (I can think of many ways a sysop could
have created my simulation but have absolutely no control over the
weather in my area of the 'verse), I would make a qualified agreement
to this. The important thing is that the simulation argument is the
meme virus by which we can infect theists worldwide with transhumanism.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)