[extropy-chat] damien's psi book

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Thu Feb 17 01:52:01 UTC 2005

kevinfreels.com wrote:

>I always figured that alien signals would be encrypted and disguised as
>background radiation.

Not disguised, merely efficient. If you are trying to maximize the
information rate of you signal in the presence of noise for a particular
transmission power, your signal ends up looking like noise. After
spending more than 30 years purely in the digital domain, I'm now
working for a company that make IP-over-satellite equipment. I was
astounded to discover that a really efficient signal looks like noise.